What are the contra-indications to using the progestin only pill?
Progestin Only pills should NOT be used by women who:46
- Are breastfeeding and have given birth within the last 6 weeks
- Who are taking barbiturates, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, primidone, topiramate, rifampicin, rifabutin, or ritonavir or ritonavir- boosted protease inhibitors.
Progestin Only pills should NOT be used if a woman has any of the following medical conditions:
- Acute blood clot in deep veins of legs or lungs
- Breast cancer (past or present)
- Severe liver disease, infection, or tumor
- Systemic lupus erythematosus with positive (or unknown) antiphospho-lipid antibodies
- History of stroke (history of cerebrovascular accident)
- Ischemic heart disease