1. Safe Abortion: Technical and Policy Guidance for Health Systems. 2nd edition. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2012. Online source.
2. The ICMA Information Package on Medical Abortion. Information for women / Updated in 2013
3. Breitbart V.(2000) Counseling for medical abortion. Am J Obstet Gynecol. Aug;183(2 Suppl):S26-33.
4. Gynuity (2009) Providing Medical Abortion in Low-resource Settings: An Introductory Guidebook, 2nd Edition.
5 Ashok, Premila W., Allan Templeton, Prabhath T. Wagaarachchi, and Gillian M.M. Flett. (2002) Factors affecting the outcome of early medical abortion: a review of 4132 consecutive cases. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 109: 1281-1289.
6. von Hertzen H & Baird D (2006) Frequently asked questions about medical abortion. Contraception. 2006 Jul;74(1):3-10.
7. Hamoda H, Ashok PW, Flett GM, Templeton A. (2005) A randomised controlled trial of mifepristone in combination with misoprostol administered sublingually or vaginally for medical abortion up to 13 weeks of gestation. BJOG. Aug;112(8):1102-8.
8. Ashok, P.W., A. Templeton, P.T. Wagaarachchi and G.M.M. Flett. (2004) Midtrimester medical termination of pregnancy: a review of 1002 consecutive cases. Contraception 69:51-8.
9. von Hertzen H (2005) Misoprostol Only Regimens for Medical abortion. FIAPAC Moscow October
10. Tang OS1, Miao BY, Lee SW, Ho PC. (2002) Pilot study on the use of repeated doses of sublingual misoprostol in termination of pregnancy up to 12 weeks gestation: efficacy and acceptability. Hum Reprod. 2002 Mar;17(3):654-8.
11. von Hertzen H1, Piaggio G, Wojdyla D, Nguyen TM, Marions L, Okoev G, Khomassuridze A, Kereszturi A, Mittal S, Nair R, Daver R, Pretnar-Darovec A, Dickson K, Nguyen DH, Nguyen HB, Hoang TD, Peregoudov A; (2009). Comparison of vaginal and sublingual misoprostol for second trimester abortion: randomized controlled equivalence trial. Hum Reprod. Jan;24(1):106-12. doi: 10.1093/humrep/den328. Epub 2008 Sep 14.
12. von Hertzen H1, Piaggio G, Huong NT, Arustamyan K, Cabezas E, Gomez M, Khomassuridze A, Shah R, Mittal S, Nair R, Erdenetungalag R, Huong TM, Vy ND, Phuong NT, Tuyet HT, Peregoudov A; WHO Research Group on Postovulatory Methods of Fertility Regulation (2007) Efficacy of two intervals and two routes of administration of misoprostol for termination of early pregnancy: a randomised controlled equivalence trial. Lancet. Jun 9;369(9577):1938-46.
13. Philip N, Shannon C, and Winikoff B. Misoprostol and teratogenicity: Reviewing the evidence–Report of a meeting. Robert H. Ebert Program on Critical Issues in Reproductive Health Publication Series. New York: Population Council, 2003.
14. Sitruk-Ware R, Spitz IM (2003) Pharmacological properties of mifepristone: toxicology and safety in animal and human studies. Contraception. Dec;68(6):409-20.Online source.
15. Fiala, Cameron, Carmo-Bombas, Gemezell-Danielsson, Parachini, Shojai, Sitruk-Ware (2012) Early Medical Abortion - A Practical Guide For Healthcare Professionals. Editions de Santé, 2012
16. FIGO (2012) Consensus Statement on Uterine Evacuation
17. Warriner IK and Shah IH, eds. (2006) Preventing Unsafe Abortion and its Consequences: Priorities for. Research and Action, New York: Guttmacher
18. Merck Manual (last reviewed april 2014) Detecting and Dating a Pregnancy.
19. Clinical Practice Handbook for Safe Abortion. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2014. WHO Guidelines Approved by the Guidelines Review Committee. Online source
21. FFPRHC Guidance (April 2007). Intrauterine Contraception. Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care Clinical Effectiveness Unit.
22. Merck Manual (last reviewed august 2013) Rh Incompatibility
23. Drugs (last reviewed march 2014) Misoprostol use while Breastfeeding
24. de Bruyn M. (2003) Safe abortion for HIV-positive women with unwanted pregnancy: a reproductive right. Reprod Health Matters. Nov;11(22):152-61.
25. Wedisinghe L1, Elsandabesee D. (2009) Flexible mifepristone and misoprostol administration interval for first-trimester medical termination. Contraception. 2010 Apr;81(4):269-74.
26. Tang OS, Gemzell-Danielsson K, Ho PC. (2007) Misoprostol: pharmacokinetic profiles, effects on the uterus and side-effects. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. Dec;99 Suppl 2:S160-7.
27. Livshits A, Machtinger R, David LB, Spira M, Moshe-Zahav A, Seidman DS. Ibuprofen and Paracetamol for pain relief during medical Abortion: a double-blind randomized controlled study. Fertil Steril 2009; 91:1877–80
28. Jackson E, Kapp N. Pain control in first-trimester and second-trimester medical termination of pregnancy: a systemic review. Contraception 2011;83: 116–26.
29. Fiala C, Swahn ML, Stephansson O, et al. (2005) The effect of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on medical abortion with mifepristone and misoprostol at 13–22 weeks gestation. Human Reproduction 2005; 20(11):3072–77. abortion. Obstetrics & Gynecology 1999;94(1):139–41.
30. Shannon C1, Brothers LP, Philip NM, Winikoff B. (2004) Infection after medical abortion: a review of the literature. Contraception. Sep;70(3):183-90.
31. The Reproductive Health Access Project (RHAP) Answers to most common calls from medication abortion patients
32. Tang OS, Gemzell-Danielsson K, Ho PC. (2007) Misoprostol: pharmacokinetic profiles, effects on the uterus and side-effects. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. Dec;99 Suppl 2:S160-7.
33. Bernard N, Elefant E, Carlier P, Tebacher M, Barjhoux CE, Bos-Thompson MA, Amar E, Descotes J, Vial T.(2013) Continuation of pregnancy after first-trimester exposure to mifepristone: an observational prospective study. BJOG. 2013 Apr;120(5):568-74.
34. Godfrey EM, Anderson A, Fielding SL, Meyn L, Creinin MD. Clinical utility of urine pregnancy assays to determine medical abortion outcome is limited. Contraception 2007;75:378-82.
35. Perriera LK, Reeves MF, Chen BA, Hohmann HL, Hayes J, Creinin MD. Feasibility of telephone follow-up after medical abortion. Contraception 2010;81:143-9.
36. IPAS. (2007) Starting contraception after first-trimester medication abortion
37. FFPRHC Guidance (September 2010). Quick Starting Contraception. Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care Clinical Effectiveness Unit.
38. Feminist Women's Health Center. After-Care Instructions
39. Children by Choice. (2012) How will I feel after an abortion?
40.Kaunitz, AM. (2008) Clinical practice. Hormonal contraception in women of older reproductive age. N Engl J Med. 2008 Mar 20;358(12):1262-70.
41. Farley TM, Meirik O, Collins J. (1999) Cardiovascular disease and combined oral contraceptives: reviewing the evidence and balancing the risks. Hum Reprod Update. Nov-Dec 5:721–35.
43. Grimes DA.(1993) Over-the-counter oral contraceptives—an immodest proposal? Am J Public Health 1993;83:1092–
44. Grossman D.(2013) Moving oral contraceptives over the counter as a strategy to reduce unintended pregnancy.Ann Intern Med. Jun 4;158(11):839-40.
45. McIntosh J, Rafie S, Wasik M, et al. (2011) Changing oral contraceptives from prescription to over-the-counter status: an opinion statement of the Women’s Health Practice and Research Network of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. Pharmacotherapy. 2011;31(4):424–437.
46. World Health Organization Department of Reproductive Health and Research, and Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health/Center for Communication Programs (2011)Family planning: A global handbook for providers (2011 update). Baltimore and Geneva, Switzerland: CCP and WHO.
47. FFPRHC Guidance ( update August 2012).Combined Hormonal Contraception. Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care Clinical Effectiveness Unit.
48. The Reproductive Health Access Project (RHAP) Medical Eligibility for Initiating Contraception: Absolute and Relative Contraindications
49. Rice CF, Killick SR, Dieben T, Coelingh Bennink H. (1999) A comparison of the inhibition of ovulation achieved by desogestrel 75 micrograms and levonorgestrel 30 micrograms daily. Hum Reprod; 14:982–985.
50. FFPRHC Guidance ( update June 2009) Progestogen-only Pills. Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care Clinical Effectiveness Unit.
51. EC Princeton (updated july 2014) How does emergency contraception prevent pregnancy?
52. EC Princeton (updated july 2014) How effective is emergency contraception?
53. FFPRHC Guidance ( march 2011) Missed Pill Recommendations. Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care Clinical Effectiveness Unit.
54. Merck Manual (last reviewed july 2013) Female Internal Genital Organs
55. Gynuity(2014) Misoprostol Detection in Blood
56.Tang, O.S., Gemzell-Danielsson, K. & Ho, P.C. (2007) Misoprostol: Pharmacokinetic profiles, effects on the uterus and side-effects. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics Vol. 99, S160–S167.
57. Heidi Moseson, Jessica Shaw et all. (June 2019) Contextualizing medication abortion in seven African nations: A literature review. Health care for Women International